Sunday, April 21, 2013

Different Paths

It's amazing how many times plans change.  A decade ago, I would have never thought that I would have joined the Army or deployed twice to Iraq or had the opportunity to spend hours crewing in the back of a Blackhawk, but about a year and a half later I found myself in basic training. 

Over the course of that decade, a lot of other plans have changed as well.  I didn't think I would find my best friend and other half in a soldier.  I thought I would be putting in my packet for warrant officer school.  I had planned on staying in the Army as a career.  I hadn't planned on being a stay at home mom...  But then life happened and as many times it does, your path takes a different direction than you expected. 

My husband I met during my first deployment and although we didn't hit it off at first, once we got to know each other all of that changed.  We have been married now for over five years.

My packet for warrant officer school was derailed when I had to have eye surgery to qualify.  I completed the surgery, but by the time the checkup that would clear me came up, I was in the middle of Iraq.  Before I redeployed, I had messed up my back and wasn't able to ever receive medical clearance.

After returning early from my second deployment and being deemed non-deployable because of significant issues with my back, migraines and episodes of vision loss, my MEB began.  Within a few months, they deemed I no longer met physical requirements to stay in the Army and the process of medical retirement began. 

Right after my retirement, we found out we were expecting our first child and just a little over a month ago we welcomed our second son into our little family.  Although, being a stay at home mom at one point in time had been the least appealing option to me, I couldn't imagine doing anything but that now.  Having the opportunity to watch every step of the way and since my husband is gone on a regular basis, being able to document things so he is able to witness them and be apart of them even when he isn't here. 

If you had asked me five years ago where I would be now, I would have never guessed this was the path my life would have taken.  When it all comes down to it, every step has been part of who I am now and there isn't any part of it I would give up.

1 comment:

  1. Hi MIndy!!

    I had a question for you about possibly collaborating on something (with Soldier Girl - Army Wife) and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!

    - Emma

    emmabanks9 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete